The gift of life

Today, in between World Cup matches, Sara drove me downtown to give blood.

It's a long, long time since I've given whole blood (at least 16 years) because my iron levels were too low, but I did donate platelets until about 5 years ago, when I just couldn't get the scheduling to work anymore. I got my 50 donations pin back then but I found out today that you have to get up to 100 donations for your next pin. No 75 donation pin. I have to make 45 more donations to get my 100 pin. I can only give 4 times a year (they make women wait 84 days in between donations now), so it's going to take me about 11 years. It will take longer if I lose my mind and decide to get a tattoo or get something pierced, or if my iron levels fall or I have to go on some kind of verboten medication. Or if I get a job handling monkeys or their bodily fluids. However, if I go back to giving platelets I can speed up the process because you don't have to wait as long in between. I need a game plan.

I decided I'd better try to get back in the game again because Sara got a blood transfusion on Friday; she had severe anemia. After getting the blood she felt a whole lot better. It doesn't take long to give blood, you get free juice and cookies after, and you help someone like Sara!
https://blood.ca/en
https://www.redcross.org/give-blood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a brand new blog